|Scene of the fire..
Tragedy struck in Gaun community, in the Magboro area of Ogun
State, after two children, Taiye and Kehinde Oluwasegun, were burnt
to death in an inferno that gutted their parents’ bungalow on
It was reports that the incident happened around 8pm while the
family was preparing to have dinner.
The first born of the family, Iyanu, had tripped over a jerrycan of
fuel, which also spilled some of its content in the parlour.
While the mother mopped the spillage, the fuel was said to have
flowed to a lantern in the house, which triggered an explosion.
Residents, who were alerted by calls for help, reportedly rescued
Iyanu; the second child, Korede; and their parents.
However, the twin children, aged three, were burnt to death.
When Punch visited the area on Wednesday, he observed that
everything in the house was burnt as smoke still billowed from
burnt property in the three-bedroomed bungalow.
Korede, six, who sustained burns in the leg, told PunchMetro that
his father, Aina, was about taking their generator outside when his
sister fell. He said,
''My daddy has two generators. We use the big one to
pump water, while the small one is for the house.
''My daddy had put the small one in the room to pour
petrol into it before taking it to the cage that was outside. My
mummy was preparing food in the kitchen that time.
''My sister, who didn’t know there was a jerrycan on
the floor, tripped over it. My mum then took the mop to clean
spilled petrol. She was doing that when the fire started. There
were six of us in the house: my dad and mum, my sister, the twins
Punch observed that there was no motorable road in the community
and the area was connected to the rest of Magboro by a stretch of
rickety bamboo bridge.
A motorcyclist in the area, who did not identify himself, said the
survivors were helped by residents to cross the bridge.
''It was a difficult task getting the survivors to the
hospital. We had to carry them on our backs with their burns.
''The woman kept asking for her twins, while the
husband kept lamenting that he lost everything to the fire.''
PUNCH Metro visited Perfect Joy Hospital where three members of the
family were taken to for treatment.
They observed that Aina, a carpenter, suffered severe burns in his
legs, hands, face and chest, while his wife, Abosede, a teacher,
suffered burns in both legs.
It was learnt that she had yet to be informed that the twins were
A relative of the victims, Pastor Moses Igbinadolor, said Iyanu was
in another hospital, adding that she sustained serious burns.
He lamented the lack of basic amenities in the community, saying it
made the rescue difficult.
''We took Iyanu to another hospital and the doctor
said she sustained 68 degrees burns. What, however, made the case
worse was that we couldn’t get across...